Urad Dhal - 1cup
Rice Flour - 2 tbsp
Onion -2 medium sized(chopped)
Green Chillies- 2 or 3 (finely chopped)
Pepper corns - 1 tbsp
Coriander lvs - half bunch
Salt - as required
Oil - for frying
Curd - 2 cups ; oil , mustard seeds ,red chillies,curry lvs -for seasoning,salt
- Soak urad dhal for an hour and grind it to a very slightly coarse paste ,mostly smooth.
- Transfer them to a bowl ... add rice flour, onion , green chilli, pepper corns, coriander lvs, and salt. Mix them well and check salt
- Now heat oil in a pan until nicely hot on a medium flame, check if oil is hot .
- Make vada shape with your hands and put them gently in the oil, change sides after a minute.. make sure both the sides are cooked and light brown or orangish in colour.
FOR CURD- Take 5 cups of curd and mix with salt and water and keep it aside. In a pan ,take some oil and when it is hot splutter mustard seeds , curry lvs and red chillies.
Pour the seasoning in the curd and spread half of the mixture in a bowl and the place these vada's , and pour the remaining curd on top of them.. let it soak for an hour.
Tips & Tricks
1) Instead of onion ,one can use cabbage and maybe some carrot to make it colourful for kids.
2) To check if the oil is hot , take a 1/2 tsp of batter and drop it in the oil, if it comes immediately on top -then the oil is hot, if not wait for few more minutes.
3) If vada mixture starts giving out water and makes it hard for you to make the vada shape, take a tbsp and scoop and fry them like bondas, it wouldn't taste any different. But if there is only less water - add some rice flour , u wouldn't want to add more becoz it will drink oil
4) You can also add some urad dhal flour ... if its watery.
5) To help the vada absorb more curd and be soft , dip the vada in a bowl of water and slightly squeeze them to take the water off and then soak them in the curd mixture
6) Can garnish with boondi or some grated carrot