Egg - 4 no.
Milk - 1 cup
Sugar -15 tbsp
Cardamom powder - a pinch
Rose/Vanilla essence - 2 drops
Sugar - 3 tbsp (for caramelising)
- Beat egg with sugar until it dissolves,, then add milk and beat them well till they blend nicely together..
- Now add cardamom powder and essence.. another round of mix. keep aside.
- In a cooker add sufficient water and place it for heating,, we are going to steam the egg mixture finally,,, like idlis but not on the idly plates :)
- Lets get to caramelising..Take a round bottom vessel , dry them .. place the vessel on the stove when it is hot ,add 3 tbsp of sugar into it , on a medium flame (careful not to burn them) , the sugar will start changing colour to golden brown,this is the perfect colour..wait until all the sugar dissolves and ensure to coat the caramel at the bottom of the vessel evenly and maybe little on the sides..
- Remove from heat and immediately add the prepared egg mixture to it.. place this vessel in the cooker and steam cook it for 40-45 mins,, that is ; do not put weight ... like for idlis as mentioned earlier..
- After the steaming is done , take the vessel off the cooker and let it cool for 15 mins .. make sure the pudding is still not stuck to the sides of the vessel before turning it upside down. keep the vessel aside..
- Now take a plate,in which you are going to serve and invert on top of the vessel and turn it upside down.. u will see a beautiful layer of caramel on top and a very soft pudding on the whole finally...
Tips & Tricks
1) Fill the cooker with generous amount of water..
2) Choose a tall vessel ,so you don't have to worry about the water getting into the vessel.
3) Once you set the pudding on the plate,you will notice it will start leaving water..i mean like a sugar syrup in brown colour,,, need not worry it will be fine once you refrigerate it.. even if some of the water is left ,you can pour them on every slice when serving...
4) Can be served both hot and cold ,,, i would prefer it cold accompanied with an ice cream :))
5) You can also decorate it with cool whip and some fruits ..