Its actually a friendship chain where a person is matched with another to surprise them with a secret ingredient... and u get the fun of cooking and blogging about it.. isn't this exciting ?? Just another way to enjoy blogging.. Come join this chain with us..
I received a package from a very Dear Blogger Friend of mine - Sathya.. I was so anxious to open up only to be surprised with something gift wrapped in it.. A very beautiful gift.. Measuring Spoons.. That was really toughtful and sweet.. She has a wonderful space and do definitely visit her for wonderful recipes from her kitchen..and there was my mystery ingredient in a ziploc bag..quinoa seeds.. I could just guess it right away..
U believe me? NAH, I thought it was black sesame seeds and started browsing for recipes and even shortlisted some of them.. Then when I sat to email Sathya, to let her know I received the package and thank you n all, I also wanted to confirm if the ingredients is what I thought it is.. She replied with a smiley saying it is quinoa.. Then I silently replied her Thanks and was puzzled on what is quinoa.. Now I have to learn and cook quinoa.. Thanks to her , I am learning a brand new Ingredient..
When I started browsing for recipes , I was surprised by the fact that quinoa was commonly made and found and loads of recipes on them.. Am i the only one new to this Ingredient..? Well, not anymore..
Quinoa , is cooked more like rice.. Soaked for an hour and cooked with two portions of water.. When fully cooked it looked like Takamaria when soaked.. After some research on how to face quinoa.. I settled for a something close to a cake recipe.. Quinoa had a interesting texture and flavor, Slightly bitter in taste and so smooth when pureed.. Now , lets get baking..
All Purpose Flour - 1 cup
Quinoa - 3/4 cup cooked
Baking Powder - 1 tbsp
Eggs - 4 no.
Banana - 2 no. [pureed]
Sugar - 1 cup
Fat Free Milk - 2 oz or 1/4 cup
Rose Essence - 2 drops
- Soak quinoa for an hour and cook with double the portion of water..
- Puree quinoa with little milk..
- Puree banana with some milk..
- Beat eggs and Sugar for a minute or so.. fold in the flour , baking powder, banana puree and quinoa puree and milk one at a time.. beating the mixture smoothly..
- Add drops of essence and blend in everything very well with no lumps.
- Pre heat the oven for 350 degrees
- Grease the baking pan with cooking spray and pour in the mixture and bake for 30 mins..
- Let it cool and turn it upside down to cut into pieces and serve with caramel sauce..
Tips & Tricks
1) Quinoa need to be soaked and rinsed thoroughly to remove the exterior skin.. to avoid a bitter taste..
2) Quinoa gives a bitter taste and flavor , so u need something to mask it, like a caramel sauce, essence or so..